Monday, February 15, 2010

And now for the next surgery

Julia has had her second palate expander on now for a week. Ted actually turned it last night--I guess there is a first for everything. I do have to say--she was pretty pissed at me when she found out she was going to have to a second one placed. But, got through it just like we do with everything else.
Today was the appt. with the oral surgeon. She's going to have about 9 teeth removed. One might fall out before then (we can only hope). Also her 6 year old molar on the lower left side just does not seem to want to make an appearance. It's there--but not breaking through. So, he is going to basically remove a layer of gum and the "eggshell covering" to hopefully to coax it into joining the rest of Julia's toothy grin! There is 3 or 4 teeth in Julia's cleft area that will be removed--basically digging into her gumline and mouth. YUCK! Poor kid. But Julia is just like her mom--the surgeon started talking about post surgical pain meds and she looked up at him and said "I don't like those things they make me feel funny". Please God--let that continue through the teenage years! Such a strong-willed child. So, surgery is planned for April 1.
Later today I take all three kids to the dentist. Yep, day off and I just can't get away from the "medical/dental" field. I would guess I'm going to hear about Rauan starting with the orthodontist and a palate expander.
Since tonight is free--I'm going to try and get some pictures of Julia's palate expander. It's a little different then the old one.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Poor girl - she is such a trooper, though. Have fun at the dentist today. :)

Mala said...

That little girl has moxie! I love it!
Me, on the other hand, I'm squirming and tearing up at just the thought! Bring on the post-surgery drugs!

Hilary Marquis said...

She is one tough cookie! Tell her that I am proud of her for being so brave and we'll be praying for her.