Monday, December 31, 2007

Just one more thing to the pile

So, we're leaving on Wednesday--and as everyone knows I'm freaking out. Why?? Who knows??? Sometimes my thoughts just aren't logical. Anyyways, I'm with a patient and all of the sudden a nurse collegue pops her head in the door and says I'm needed on the phone, it's an emergency. Ted is there and all I can hear is kids screaming and crying in the background. Our dog died. When Ted and I got married, we decided we wanted a dog--since we are definitely animal people. Before the wedding we picked out this cute little Norwegian Elkhound pup. At the time we didn't know it, but she had something called renal glucosuria--basically sugar leaked in her urine--a breeding ground for infection. So, we've dealt with chonic bladder infection after bladder infection. But she was still our baby. With the last infection, we were told we probably wouldn't be able to treat her any further--the bacteria was becoming super bacteria. Today, Ted went outside to get her--she loved to be outside in the cold--after all she was an elkhound--and found her dead, with her tongue hanging out and it was black. I think she fell asleep and her electrolytes were wacked and she had a seizure or heart attack. Just one thing after another. So now I have to deal with the idea of leaving my children for so long and now I'm leaving them right after our dog dies. Why???? Well, 2007 was a sucky year--might as well finish this way. Of course, there are no vets open on New Years' Eve or New Years Day, so Callie is wrapped in a sheet in the garage right now. Lovely. I honestly am starting to wonder if travelling now is such a good idea.

9 comments:

Lisa Brotherton said...

Janiece,
I am so sorry. Not just for the lost, but for the chaos and unrest.
When my head and heart get twisted in knots I try to take a breath and remember:
"Be still and know that I am."
The world is unfolding just as it is supposed to...
Know that there are others keeping you close in their thoughts.

Mala said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to loss a member of the family, whether it's 2-legged or 4-legged.
Best of luck.

Lisa said...

Oh JP! I am so sorry for your loss. All I can do is send lots of cyber-hugs your way and prayers for safe travels.

Hilary Marquis said...

I am so sorry, it is so hard to lose a furry family member. We had all kinds of chaos here too before we left to meet Anara. We had to take Toby to the eye doctor because they thought he could have a herpes virus in his eye. And Tyler had a very infected scrape on his knee that gave us a scare when they mentioned staff...all 48hrs before leaving! When it rains it pours...you will most deffinitely be SLEEPING on the plane. Give your kids a hug from us, we will keep you all in our prayers. Keep us posted, we'll be holding our breath :) And kiss that darling little boy for me!

Maria said...

Oh I am SO SORRY! I know this was such a sad thing to happen and to have happened right before you leave is awful. I hope things will improve drastically over the next few days. Keep your eye on that sweet boy you are going for. Sending cyber-hugs!

Another Kyrygyzstan PAP!

Ivy Lee said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully you'll soon forget the chaos once you have your little one in your arms.

Jackie said...

I just found your blog. I wanted to say how very sorry I am for the loss of your dog.

I also wanted to wish you safe travels to meet/bring home your child. I don't even know the details of your adoption (a certain Little Squirt has been keeping me busy busy). I wish you all the best in your journey and will check back for updates.

Johnda said...

Janiece,
I'm sorry to hear about your fur baby! We lost our first fur baby this summer...boy it was rough.
I hope your trip is a wonderful one..I will keep your family in my prayers.
On our adoption..we are still waiting for our invitation to visit her.So, I'm stressing over what to pack the first trip...

Love and Prayers

Johnda

Gen 's Family Story said...

I just found your blog also. How heartbreaking for you to lose your furry friend! OUCH!!! Your poor husband that found him, it sounded awful.
I pray all goes much better for you in 2008, your little boy will make it great!(sorry for the bad rhyme)
Will be watching your story! All the best!